Ruffino Park is located at the entrance of Kilgariff Estate on Harris Avenue.
The park provides a family orientated meeting place with a concrete paved bike path to the Alice Springs Town centre, seating area, fenced surrounds and playground equipment.
Upon completion of Ruffino Park, the Land Development Corporation gifted the facility to the Alice Springs Town Council who now maintain the park and hold some fantastic local events.
In September 2018, the Hon. Eva Lawler opened Ruffino Park in a ceremony hosted by the Land Development Corporation. The park was named after the late Luigi Ruffino; a well-respected local entrepreneur.
After immigrating from Siciliy to Perth, Luigi took a chance on Darwin and opened a restaurant in 1955. After a few years Luigi decided to leave Darwin for Mt Isa but after a delay in Alice Springs, Luigi and his wife Vera were convinced to stay in Alice. It was in Alice Springs that Luigi and Vera pioneered the restaurant and catering business, changing the face of Alice Springs in the process.
‘Papa Luigi’ as he was affectionately known, was a respected member of the community and his contribution to central Australia was recognised in 1979 when he was awarded the Member of the Order of the British Empire. It was fitting that Luigi’s contribution to the community will be remembered in a place where people come together, Ruffino Park, a much needed recreational space for not only the residents of the newly establish Kilgariff, but the broader Alice Springs community.